- Indonesia detains 18 in pre-emptive bid to boost Christmas security
- Saudi Arabia says cinemas will be allowed from early 2018
- U.S. citizen on the run after busting out of Bali prison
- Indian police arrests French journalist after filming in Kashmir
- Indian police file sexual assault case against airline passenger for a
- Roche: Tecentriq cocktail slows kidney cancer progression
- Merck raises stakes in lung cancer as rivals close in
- Venezuela's Maduro: Some opposition parties to be barred from presidential vote
- Alabama race epitomizes the turbulence of the Trump era
- Bahraini civil society group under pressure after Israel visit
- Buoyed by mayoral votes, Venezuela's socialists eye 2018 presidency ra
- 'Walking Dead' sets stage for key death
- China starts formal legal proceedings against disgraced senior politic
- Venezuela socialists winning local vote, Maduro joyous
- Bitcoin jumps after futures trading begins
- Six New Street Fighter 5 Characters Revealed For Season 3 Of Content
- China, Taiwan spar over Chinese diplomat's invasion threat
- Israeli army destroys tunnel from Gaza
- With foes abstaining, Venezuela mayoral contests to boost socialists
- Futures trading arrives for bitcoin
Russian military: mission accomplished, Islamic State defeated in Syria
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia’s military said on Thursday it had accomplished its mission of defeating Islamic State in Syria, and today there are no remaining settlements in the country under Islamic State control.
“The final stage of the defeat of the terrorists was accompanied by the unprecedented deployment of Russia’s air force,” Russia’s Rossiya 24 TV channel showed General-Colonel Sergei Rudskoi, in charge of the general staff’s main operations department, saying.
Russia’s military deployed in Syria will now focus on preserving ceasefires and restoring peaceful life, he said.
Writing by Dmitry Solovyov; Editing by Christian Lowe
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.