Philippines' Duterte spokesman says ban on open pit mining remains

Jimmy 3x3 | 9 Views | 2017-11-20T04:07:25+00:00

MANILA (Reuters) - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has not lifted a ban on open pit mining, his spokesman said on Monday, amid plans by a government panel to seek the removal of the policy.

Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte Rodrigo Duterte gestures during a news conference on the sidelines of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Pasay, metro Manila, Philippines, November 14, 2017. REUTERS/Dondi Tawatao

“I assure you that this is one of the instances when I personally asked the President if there’s been a change in policy. And he says that’s there’s still no new policy on this, there’s still a ban on new open pit mining,” Harry Roque told a media briefing.

The Mining Industry Coordinating Council last month recommended the lifting of the ban on open pit mining and Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu has said he was hopeful that the restriction would be removed before year-end.

Reporting by Manolo Serapio Jr.

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Read Full News Here